Botswana is a landlocked country located in Southern Africa, known for its rich wildlife and vast landscapes. As such, a safari in Botswana is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, which we’ll tell you all about in this Botswana safari planning guide.
- You’ll chance seeing some of the most incredible animals on the planet, including elephants, lions, giraffes, zebra, leopards, and more.
- You’ll trek through a wide variety of landscapes from the lush Okavango Delta to the dry savannas of the Kalahari Desert.
- You’ll connect with nature and experience the thrill of the wild in a way that few other experiences can.
- You’ll experience a remote and unspoiled environment—as Botswana is one of the least densely populated countries in the world—offering a sense of isolation and tranquility.
If you’re looking for an authentic bush experience and memories to last a lifetime, Brave Africa is the perfect safari company for you. So let us help you get started on planning your ultimate safari experience.
Botswana Safari Planning Guide
In this Botswana Safari Planning Guide, we’ll provide an in-depth look at what to expect on a Brave Africa Safari, including what to pack, what to see, and how to prepare for the adventure of a lifetime. By following this detailed guide, you’ll be fully prepared to take on the Botswana wilderness and experience the magic of an African safari.
When to Go on Safari
The best time to visit Botswana is during the dry season, which runs from May to October. This is when the animals gather around waterholes and rivers, making it easier to spot them. However, if you want to see baby animals, consider visiting during the wet season (November to April). The wet season offers lush landscapes and a wider range of birdlife, but also comes with more unpredictable weather conditions.
But truly, there is no wrong time to visit Botswana. Every month offers incredible opportunities to see the wildlife and experience something amazing. In fact, many of our guests prefer visiting in the “off-season” (December – April) because there are fewer tourists and they say it feels “more wild and private.”
The good news is that there is still plenty of time to book your ultimate safari experience with Brave Africa in 2023 and 2024. Contact us today.
What to Pack on Safari
Packing for a safari can be a challenge, as you want to bring everything you need without overpacking. Remember that Brave Africa offers daily laundry services, so you don’t need to bring a lot of clothes. Here’s a brief overview of our more detailed packing list to help you get started:
- Comfortable, breathable clothing: Pack light and bring clothes suitable for a warm climate. Long sleeves and pants will protect you from the sun and insects. Stick to neutral colors such as khaki, beige, and green to blend in with the environment.
- Hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen: Protect yourself from the strong African sun with a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, and plenty of sunscreen.
- Insect repellent: Botswana is home to many insects, including mosquitoes. Be sure to bring insect repellent to protect yourself from bites.
- High-quality camera and binoculars: Bring a good camera to capture all the amazing wildlife sightings, and binoculars to get a closer look at the animals.
- Comfortable shoes: Pack sturdy, closed-toe shoes for walking safaris, and comfortable sneakers or sandals for casual wear.
- Other essentials: Don’t forget to pack any medication you need, as well as a first aid kit, toiletries, and a reusable water bottle.
What to Expect on a Brave Africa Safari
At Brave Africa, we offer a variety of safari experiences, from all-day game drives to walking safaris, mokoro, star gazing, and more. Our experienced guides will take you on game drives through the Khwai, Moremi, Savuti, and surrounding areas, where you’ll have the chance to see a wide range of animals up close.
Our safari experiences are designed to be as comfortable and convenient as possible, without sacrificing the thrill of adventure. We offer luxury-tented accommodations for an extremely comfortable camping experience that gets you just close enough to nature without losing any amenities. You’ll have comfortable mattresses, flushing toilets, on-demand hot water for bush showers, and more.
- You’ll wake up early and head out on a game drive as the sun rises after a continental breakfast.
- You’ll spend the morning exploring the bush and spotting wildlife, before taking an early morning break for coffee, tea, and snacks.
- After a short rest, you’ll head back out for further game drives and exploration until you’re ready for lunch.
- Your guide will find a beautiful location in the bush—normally under a shaded tree and by water—where you can rest and have a delicious chef-prepared meal.
- Then, when you’re full and rested, you’ll head back out on another game drive until the sun sets.
- After another respite for drinks and snacks, you’ll drive back to camp in the dark (or close to it), where you’ll have the chance to see nocturnal animals and witness the majesty of the Botswana sky at night—under a million stars.
How to Prepare for Your Safari
No Botswana safari planning guide would be complete without telling you how to prepare for an African safari. There’s no doubt that it can be an exciting and daunting task, but with the right information, you can be well-prepared and ready for the adventure of a lifetime. Here are some tips on how to prepare for an African safari:
- Research the destination: Before you go, research the destination you’ll be visiting. Learn about the climate, wildlife, local customs, and any health or safety concerns. Understanding the local context will help you appreciate the experience more.
- Choose the right safari operator: Choose a reputable safari operator who prioritizes safety, sustainability, and responsible tourism practices. You want a company that offers experienced guides, comfortable accommodations, and has a good track record of successful safaris.
- Get the right gear: The right gear is essential for a successful safari. This includes comfortable and sturdy shoes, lightweight and breathable clothing in neutral colors, a hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, and binoculars.
- Get the necessary vaccinations and medications: Depending on the destination, you may need vaccinations and medications such as anti-malaria pills. Consult with a travel doctor well in advance to ensure you have enough time to get all necessary vaccinations and medications.
- Pack smart: When packing, make sure to bring only the essentials. Most safari camps and lodges offer laundry services, so you can pack light. Make sure to pack a good camera and plenty of memory cards, as you’ll want to capture as many memories as possible.
- Be respectful of the wildlife and environment: Always follow the instructions of your safari guide, and respect the wildlife and environment by not disturbing or feeding the animals, and not littering or damaging the natural habitat.
- Embrace the experience: An African safari is a unique and unforgettable experience, so be open to new experiences and embrace the adventure. Immerse yourself in the beauty of nature and the local culture, and savor every moment of the journey.
The Ultimate Guide to Booking Your Safari with Brave Africa
Ready to book your safari with Brave Africa? Explore our website to discover which safari options are right for you. We have three standard tours:
- 10-Day Brave Adventurer: Travel from Moremi to Khwai to Savuti on this incredible 10-day Botswana wilderness safari adventure that takes you deep into the stunning Okavango Delta and the many landscapes and abundant wildlife found there. Prices start at $5,040 per person.
- 7-Day Brave Explorer: Spend 7 days exploring the wilds of Savuti where the big game roam, and then head into the stunning Okavango Delta to explore Khwai and the abundant wildlife found there. Prices start at $3,360 per person.
- 7-Day Brave Discoverer: On this 7-day Botswana safari adventure you’ll explore the wilds of Moremi where the big game roam, and then head deeper into the stunning Okavango Delta to explore Khwai and the many landscapes and abundant wildlife found there. Prices start at $3,360 per person.
Our team is also available to answer any questions you may have and help you plan your dream safari experience. Please contact us by emailing [email protected].
At Brave Africa, we pride ourselves on providing an authentic and unforgettable safari experience in Botswana. By following this ultimate guide to planning your safari with us, you’ll be fully prepared to take on the adventure of a lifetime. We can’t wait to welcome you to Botswana and show you the incredible wildlife and beauty of this amazing country.